Student Advisory and Welfare Committee
How to make stress your friend | Kelly McGonigal
How to stay calm when you know you'll be stressed | Daniel Levitin
About SA & WC
The success of a university graduate depends on academic achievement, development of skills aligned with their requirement, and emotional intelligence to navigate challenges. Many of the students, who attend the faculty of science, face unique obstacles. The complete change of environment from home-based to residential schooling, psychological trauma from taking the GCE A/L examination(s), and loss of emotional support structures leads to many students being in an unhealthy mental state when they enter university. Therefore, the student advisory and welfare committee recognizes that students can only study to their best ability when their welfare needs are being met.
The objectives of the Student Advisory and Welfare Committee shall be to;
- Create and enhance the faculty environment where every individual has the opportunity to learn, interact and engage in all aspects of a university student life, regardless of gender, age, culture, physical and mental health, and financial circumstances.
- Organize and implement the orientation programme for the new entrants every year.
- Provide student advisory service through voluntary academic advisors to support students in making a well-founded decision regarding course selection and to master challenging situations.
- Peruse facilities needed by students with disabilities, chronic illnesses and needy students and direct them to respective authorities.
- Provide counseling service for students who need and request counseling service.
- Organize activities to enhance student-student, staff-student relationships and social harmony among student community
- Maintain the discipline of students in the faculty according to the University by-laws.
Members of the SWAC
The members of the Student Advisory and Welfare Committee shall consist of;
- Dean, Faculty of Science, University of Peradeniya (observer)
- Chairperson of the Student Advisory and Welfare Committee (must be an academic staff member appointed by the Faculty Board)
- Academic Members of the Student Advisory and Welfare Committee - Department representatives (08) (appointed by the Faculty Board)
- Deputy Proctor, Faculty of Science, University of Peradeniya
- Senior Student Counsellors (08), Faculty of Science, University of Peradeniya
- Student Representatives
|Members of SAWC|
|Chairperson/SAWC, Dr. Varuni A. Seneviratneemail@example.com,|
|Deputy Proctor, Dr. Ashwini Amarasinghefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Secretary/SAWC, Dr. G. S. Subhashini Gunethilakeemail@example.com|
|SAWC Members Appointed at the Faculty Board|
|Dr. Chandima Ariyarathne (Botany)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Chandima Danapala (Molecular Biology and Biotechnology)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Mahasen Dehideniya (Stat and Com. Sc.)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Subashini Gunatileke (Chemistry)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Jagath Gunatilleke (Geology)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Susanthi Jayasinghe (Chemistry)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Rajitha Ranasinghe (Mathematics)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Lahiru K. Narangammana (Physics)||email@example.com|
|Prof. Sudharma K. Yatigammana (EIS)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Senior Student Counselors|
|Dr. Sarangi Athukorala (Botany)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Dimanthi Uduwela (Chemistry)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Prasanna Dahrmapriya (Geology)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Chandima Dhanapala (MBBT)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Gayani Udagedara (Mathematics)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Thiloshana Ranawaka (Physics)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Hemailka Abeysundara (SCS)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Thilini Weeraratne (Zoology)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Voluntary Student Counselors|
|Prof. Priyanka de Silva (Zoology)||email@example.com,|
|Dr. Priyanga Wijesinghe (Botany)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Dilshan Beligala (Molecular B. and BT)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Rachitha Mendis (Physics)||firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
|Dr. W.J. Bandara (Physics)||firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com|
|Dr. Chani Perera (Physics)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Erunika O. Dayaratna (Stat and Co. Sc.)||email@example.com|
|Dr. Piyumail Perera (Zoology)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. Prabhath Gunathilake (Stat and Com Sc.)||email@example.com|
|Student Representatives – 26|
Duties and Responsibilities
The Chairperson reports to the Faculty Board.
Meeting Schedule and Minutes
The committee shall meet once in two months. Special meetings will be held when necessary. Quorum should be 1/3 of the members. Minutes are recorded and maintained by the AR.
Role of the Chairperson of the Student Advisory and Welfare Committee shall be to;
- Approve the Agenda and chair each meeting of the committee.
- Act as a point of contact for the Dean of the Faculty of Science.
- Set the strategic direction for the Committee, while encouraging the participation and contribution of other Committee Members.
- Notify the Faculty Board of any decisions made, ongoing activities or any concerns raised during committee meetings.
Role of the Deputy Proctor and Senior Student Counselors shall be to;
- Organize the orientation programme of the new entrants.
- Report and discuss any concerns related to student behaviour, academic related issues, financial needs, and/or any physical or mental discomfort/disability of students for necessary action.
Role of the Academic Advisors shall be to;
- Organize and facilitate the orientation programme of the new entrants.
- Report and discuss any concerns related to academic related issues, financial needs, and/or any physical or mental discomfort/disability of students for necessary action.
Role of the student representatives shall be to;
- Report any concerns related to student welfare in their batch.