The Environmental Science study programme offered by the Department of EIS, nurtures a wide range of research disciplines in collaboration with the other eight departments of the faculty. The multidisciplinary research work conduct includes environmentally and socially important topics of the areas including natural products, nanotechnology, water and water pollution, climate change, forestry, biodiversity, sustainable energy, natural resources and sustainable use.
The mandatory industrial placement under the Applied Sciences study programme also creates an ample opportunity for local industries to find scientific solutions for industry-based problems through Applied Sciences interns. This process is carried out under the supervision of experts in the respective field from the faculty in collaboration with the industry to make sure the latest trends and best practices are blended contributing to national industrial advancement.
Ongoing Postgraduate Research
Ongoing Undergraduate Projects
- A Gis-Based Approach to Landslide Risk Assessment in Nuwara Eliya District, Sri Lanka
Student: Tennakoon T. M. S. A. ( S/16/141 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Sachith P. Abeysundara, Dr. Kumuduni Kumarihamy
- Analysis of heavy metals accumulation in two mangrove ecosystems in Southern, Sri Lanka.
Student: Dilrukshi H.A.C. ( S/16/031 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. K.M.G.G. Jayasuriya, Prof. S.V.R. Weerasooriya
- Analysis of impacts of frequent flash floods, and efficiency and feasibility of alternative flood control measures: a case study of Akurana, central Sri Lanka.
Student: Rukaiya F. N. ( S/16/126 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. H.A.H. Jayasena
- Application of red earth to stabilize soil contaminated with chromium.
Student: Liyanage T. S. ( S/16/083 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. N.H. Koralegedara
- Assessment of microplastic degradation under different environmental conditions.
Student: Chandrasena W.C.V. ( S/16/019 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Anuruddha Karunathne, Dr. Manjula Wijesinghe
- Bioremoval of Five Laboratory Dyes in Aqueous Solutions Using Green Algal, Chlorococcum aquaticum and Chlorella sp.
Student: Rupasinghe M. H. K. T. ( S/16/127 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Sarangi Athukorala
- Comparison of Atmospheric Chemical Composition Using Bulk Depositions of Selected Locations in Kandy And Gampaha Districts of Sri Lanka
Student: Dharaka B.D.P. ( S/16/029 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. H.M.D.N.Priyantha
- Dispersion Modelling of Vehicular Carbon Monoxide in the Kandy Municipality
Student: Rajaratne E. P. T. M. ( S/16/441 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. R.J.K.U. Ranatunga
- Effect of metal contaminated soils on the accumulation of lead and cadmium in the three types of Gotukola species.
Student: Malshani K. P. T. ( S/16/091 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Susanthi Menike
- Effects of aquatic and roosting birds on water quality in the Kandy Lake ecosystem.
Student: Kalupahana K. A. ( S/16/071 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. S. K. Yatigammana, Mr. C.S. Wijesundara
- Enhanced Crystallinity of MIL-53 (Fe) and improved Pb2+ ion removal by MIL-53 in presence of TiO2
Student: Warnapura A. G. S. M. ( S/16/496 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Rangeeka Perera
- Evaluation of plastic and microplastic contamination in selected sites along the Galle Coast.
Student: De Silva G.W.D.T. ( S/16/025 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Shalika Kumburegama
- Extraction of Potassium from K-feldspar using Microorganisms
Student: Vishwajith H. K. I. S. ( S/16/154 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. R.M.G. Rajapakse, Dr. N. Suranjith Gama-Arachchige
- Fabrication of Graphite based pressure driven NF-RO membrane
Student: Jayaweera C. L. ( S/16/069 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. S.V.R. Weerasooriya
- Formulation of natural oil-based emulsion as an antifungal agent for vegetation.
Student: Gunasekara N. C. ( S/16/047 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. A.D.L.C. Perera, Prof R.G.S.C Rajapakse
- Green Synthesis of Silica Nanoparticles and Modification as a Slow Release Fertilizer.
Student: Rajapaksha P. M. G. W. G. ( S/16/110 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Melonie Thomas, Prof. Manawadevi. Y. U. Ganehenege
- Groundwater contamination by nitrate and their health risk in Delpaddana gramaniladhari division, Paragahedeniya, Kurunegale.
Student: Wajeeha M. A. F. ( S/16/156 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. N.W.B. Balasooriya
- Herbicidal properties of Lantana camara and Mikania micrantha individually and in combination against Brassica juncea
Student: Fernando W.W.R.L. ( S/16/042 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. Rathnayake Bandara, Dr. Champika Bandara
- Impacts of the invasion of Alstonia macrophylla in tropical lowland rain forest at kurulu-kele forest reserve, Sri Lanka.
Student: Jayalath J. D. N. ( S/16/060 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. Anoma Perera
- Investigation of groundwater quality in Hakmana , Matara, Sri Lanka.
Student: Tharangani W. B. ( S/16/144 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. Atula Senarathne, Dr. S. Weragoda
- Magnesium Oxide nanoparticles iimpregnated pyrolized coconut coir as an antifungal agent.
Student: Ekanayake E.M.I.J.S.B. ( S/16/040 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. A.D.L.C. Perera, Prof R.G.S.C Rajapakse, Dr. A.C.A. Jayasundera
- Mature tea leaves as a low cost adsorbent for removal of lead from aqueous solutions.
Student: Tennakoon T. M. T. I. K. ( S/16/143 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Manjula Wijesinghe
- Metal Composition, Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activities of Sri Lankan Stingless Bee (Tetragonula praeterita and T. iridipennis) Propolis.
Student: Pathirana W. P. C. O. ( S/16/098 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Adarshi Welegedara
- Preparation of a hand sanitizer using aqueous extracts lemongrass and garcinia
Student: Senarathna H. G. C. D. ( S/16/132 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Dimanthi R. Uduwela
- Production of fish waste based organic fertilizer for Family Solanaceae.
Student: Rammuni R. H. C. ( S/16/177 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. N. H. Koralegedara, Prof. Sudharma .K. Yatigammana
- Removal of Manganese(Mn) in water by modified kaolin.
Student: Hemalal D. L. H. V. W. ( S/16/054 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Athula Bandara, Dr. S. Weragoda
- Removal of Ammonium ions from wastewater by modified Zeolite and synthesis of Zeolite-based slow ammonium releasing fertiliser.
Student: Sumanasiri W. R. S. ( S/16/138 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Athula Bandara
- Removal of hydrogen sulfide from wastewater using activated carbon produced from bio-waste
Student: Fernando G. S. N. ( S/16/349 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. H. M. D. N. Priyantha, Prof. M. C. M. Iqbal
- Seed Bank Analysis of Five tanks in Kuliyapitiya.
Student: Ranasinghe P. M. D. N. ( S/16/116 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. N. Suranjith Gama-Arachchige
- Selective adsorption of cationic dyes via carboxylated cellulose nanocrystals
Student: Wijekoon W. M. I. M. ( S/16/167 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Vajira Senevirathne
- Spatial Analysis of Surface Water Quality in the Nilwala River Using GIS.
Student: Ranawaka D. S. A. ( S/16/119 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. A.A.J.K. Gunatilake, Mr. Prabath Gunathilake
- Study on the removal of lead and cadmium from polluted water using peels of banana varieties in Sri Lanka
Student: Perera L. K. I. N. ( S/16/099 )
Supervisor(s): Prof. A.N. Navaratne
- Synthesis of maghemite coated sand for adsorptive removal of arsenic from drinking water.
Student: Senevirathne J. M. W. G. T. S. ( S/16/135 )
Supervisor(s): Dr. Athula Bandara, Prof. S.V.R. Weerasooriya